A blog about Architecture and Industrial Design.

Theme by nostrich.

28th June 2010

Text

Cathedral of Brasilia in Brasilia, Brazil

Architect Oscar Niemeyer designed the Cathedral of Brasilia, the Roman Catholic cathedral serving Brasilia, Brazil. It is also the seat of the Archdiocese of Brasilia. The building was completed in 1970 and constructed from 16 concrete columns, weighing 90 tons each.

Photo Credit: Victor Soares, Agência Brazil

Tagged: Brasilia, Brazil Oscar Niemeyer Cathedral of Brasilia Archdiocese of Brasilia Roman Catholic

27th June 2010

Text with 1 note

Aqua Building - Chicago, Illinois

The Aqua Building in Chicago was designed by architect Jeanne Gang and construction took place from 1996 to 2010. The building is a 82 story mixed-use residential skyscraper in the Lakeshore East development. The buildings height of 819 ft. (250m), includes six levels of parking below ground.The eigth story building is topped with a terrace with gardens, gazebos, pools, hot tubs, a walking/running track and even a fire pit.

Tagged: Jeanne Gang Aqua Aqua building chicago Illinois

26th June 2010

Text with 3 notes

The Dancing House - Prague, Czech Republic

The Dancing House was designed by Croatian-Czech architect Vlado Milunić and Canadian architect Frank Gehry. Designed in 1992 and completed in 1996, it was constructed on a vacant plot, where the previous building was destroyed during the bombing of Prague in 1945.

The house resembles a pair of dancers, probably Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers, because the original name of the building was Fred and Ginger. The house also goes by the nickname of “The Drunk House”.

360 Panorama photos from The Dancing House

Photo credit: Dino Quinzani

Tagged: The Dancing House Prague Czech Republic Frank Gehry Vlado Milunić The Drunk House

25th June 2010

Text

The Pyramids - Indianapolis, USA

The Pyramids are three pyramid-shaped office buildings designed by architect Kevin Roche in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Constructed between 1967 and 1972, the Pyramids occupy 45 acres of land next to a lake.

The buildings were commissioned by the College Life Insurance Company that was expanding rapidly and needed to accommodate it’s growing staff. The original plan was to construct nine identical towers each eleven stories tall and each containing 120,000 square feet. Only the initial three towers were built, and it seems unlikely that the other eight towers will ever be built.

Tagged: Kevin Roche Indianapolis The Pyramids College Life Insurance

24th June 2010

Text with 2 notes

The Crooked House, Sopot, Poland

The Crooked House was designed by Szotynscy Zaleski and built in 2004. The building is about 4000 square meters and forms part of the Rezydent shopping center in Sopot, Poland. 

The name of the building is Krzywy Domek, which translates to The Crooked House.

Zaleski’s design was inspired by the fairytale drawings and illustrations of Per Dahlberg and Jan Marcin Szancer

Tagged: Szotynscy Zaleski poland Sopot Architect The Crooked House Jan Marcin Szancer

23rd June 2010

Text

Hallgrimskirkja in Reykjavik, Iceland

Designed by Architect Guðjón Samúelsson, the Hallgrimskirkja, was commissioned in 1937. Construction started in 1945, and took 38 years to complete. Construction was completed in 1986 and the Hallgrimskirkja then became the largest church in Iceland. It is also the sixth highest architectural structure in Iceland, measuring at an incredible 74,5m (244 feet). The church is located in Reykjavik, Iceland.

The church was named after the Icelandic Poet and clergyman, Hallgrímur Pétursson (Birth: 1614, Death: 1674), the author of the Passion Hymns.

Architect Guðjón Samúelsson designed the building to resemble the basalt lava flow of the Icelandic landscape.

Photo Credit: Trey Ratcliff, www.stuckincustoms.com

Tagged: Guðjón Samúelsson Hallgrimskirkja Iceland Largest church in Iceland Reykjavik Architect

21st June 2010

Text with 1 note

860-880 Lake Shore Drive Apartments

Designed by Architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and built by the Sumner S. Sollitt Company it was dubbed the “Glass House” apartments. The pair of glass-and-steel apartment towers on N. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago were construction started in 1949 and finished in 1951. The buildings span 82 meters and consists of 26 floors. The two buildings are 46 feet apart. Originally the building on 860 was designed for 3 bedroom apartments and the building on 880 for 1 bedroom apartments. Some of the apartments have been combined to enlarge their living space.

The buildings received Chicago landmark status in 1996.



Tagged: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe Architect Lake Shore Drive Chicago